This week we visited Dad and then went to Stachowski's for a pastrami sandwich, which turned out to be 5 pounds and took a long time to make. While we were waiting we sat at the communal table and chatted with an elegant, patrician woman from the neighborhood who was eating egg salad on pumpernickel. The conversation started as many do:
Elegant Georgetown Woman: Oh look! How old is your baby, dear?
Mom: She's five weeks.
EGW: Just five weeks old! And what is her name?
Upon hearing the name and its origin . . . .
EGW: I just love Mary Magdalene. And where was your grandmother from?
Mom: She was from Indiana.
EGW: I just love this country! Indiana! We knew the Senator from Indiana -- and his son was the senator too.
Mom: Oh, yes.
Conversation continues to touch on Jimmy Stewart, his family's hardware store, etc.
EGW: But just look at her sleeping! So earnest! You know, I think we don't know enough about dreams.
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment